Get My Go-To Guide
Sign up now to get the behind the scenes how-to of my personal journaling practice, complete with rituals and prompts that will keep you grounded and strengthen your gut intuition in no time.
I often refer to lemons as the “gateway health food drug” because even the most reluctant to join the health food movement can get down with lemons. And even better, they’re most likely already using them in their day-to-day food life as lemons are readily available and have proven the test of time.
While certain health food fads trend in and out, lemons have gone the distance. Performers have long been drinking hot water with lemon to soothe their voices; the lemon-heavy master cleanse has been around forever; and there’s even the timeless adage – when life gives you lemons, make lemonade (preferably a naturally sweetened one!).
Since lemons are a fruit with which we’re already naturally comfortable, let’s take our love of lemons to the next level!
What is so great about a lemon?
– Lemons are the ultimate digestive aid; they get everything moving in your digestive system and act as a natural detoxifier.
– Lemon juice raises the level of citrate in the body which naturally helps combat kidney stones.
– Lemons are a great source of vitamin C, contain high levels of anti-oxidants and act as a natural anti-inflammatory (goodbye puffiness!).
– Lemons have an alkalizing effect on the body and help restore your natural pH levels by balancing acidity.
– Lemon juice is a natural health tonic helping to boost your immune system and fight colds and flu.
What are some ways I can get more lemons into my diet?
– Keep an abundance of lemons around at all times. Buy them in the bulk bags from Whole Foods and store in your refrigerator for up to one month. That way they’ll always be at the ready!
– Always in a rush? Squeeze a batch of lemon juice on Sundays or Mondays into a mason jar and you’ll always have fresh lemon juice ready to go!
– Start squeezing lemons over everything! You can add a squeeze of lemon to almost any dish to heighten and brighten the flavor.
– Four words: hot water with lemon. Want to lose weight and become more conscious of how you eat? Start your day with hot water with lemon. I’ve “prescribed” this one to almost all of my coaching clients and it works every single time.
– Dressings and salads make the perfect platform for lemons. Squeeze the juice of a lemon with a little olive oil and you’ve got an instant salad dressing. Looking for that perfect touch to your fruit salad? Add a squeeze of lemon at the end.
– Wish you loved lemons but find they’re too sour for your taste? Try Meyer lemons, they have a tangy and sweet flavor and are great on salads. You can also add a few drops of Stevia (a natural calorie-free liquid sweetener) to your lemon juice anytime.
I hope you enjoyed taking our love of lemons to the next level! Leave a comment below and let me know new or clever ways that you’ve added lemons to your routine this month!
This article was originally written for and published by the on-line Magazine Bella Life.